Atlantic Street Center’s Counseling Internships provide invaluable mental health training for interns who are looking for a dynamic and diverse working environment. Our interns are working on the front lines with children, youth and their families to help build resiliency, confidence and a sense of empowerment that greatly impact the lives of the participants with whom the interns work. In addition, Atlantic Street Center offers the following to our interns:
- The opportunity to provide invaluable mental health, advocacy and case management services to under-served children and families in Seattle/King County at a social justice oriented agency.
- Comprehensive orientation/training regarding agency’s therapeutic orientations, policies and procedures.
- Weekly supervision with a Licensed, Washington State Approved Clinical Supervisor.
- Bi-Monthly peer consult group where interns get the experience of receiving and providing feedback regarding therapeutic interventions and strategies.
- Ongoing in-service trainings, including an on-line Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy training.
- Access to a cohort of interns who can offer camaraderie and support.
- Access to full time therapists who are happy to share their vast knowledge and experience with our interns.
- An environment where co-collaborative learning is valued.
- An opportunity to collaborate with others in the community who may be serving the participants and their families in order to provide comprehensive care.
- A chance to develop and implement groups in schools or at the
We have relationships with and have had students from the following Master’s programs at Atlantic Street Center:
- Antioch’s Child and Family Therapy program
- Antioch’s Art Therapy program
- University of Washington’s Master’s in Social Work
- Seattle University’s Community Counseling program
- Seattle University’s Relationship and Pastoral Therapy program
- Seattle University’s Master’s in Psychology program
- The Seattle School of Theology and Psychology’s Master’s in Counseling Psychology program
- Bastyr’s Master’s in Counseling Psychology program
- City University of Seattle
- LIOS’ Counseling Psychology program
Atlantic Street Center seeks out interns who have a passion for working in a community based mental health setting and who are equipped to enter into the front lines with our participants and our families. We are looking for interns who also have the following qualities:
- On a journey of increasing cultural awareness and identity
- Aware of countertransference and transference issues and impact on therapeutic process
- Willing to navigate complex systems
- Thrive off of being challenged
- Learners who are looking for feedback and who are always looking to grow
For more information on our Counseling Internship Program, please contact Paula Womack, Internship Coordinator, at 206.329.2050.