The Atlantic Street Family Center is founded on the Principles of Family Support Practice developed by Family Support America.
Those principles are:
- Staff and families work together in relationships based on equality and respect.
- Staff enhance families’ capacity to support the growth and development of all family members – adults, youth & children.
- Families are resources to their own members, to other families, to programs and to communities.
- Programs affirm and strengthen families’ cultural, racial, and linguistic identities and enhance their ability to function in a multicultural society.
- Programs are embedded in their communities and contribute to the community-building process.
- Programs advocate with families for services and systems that are fair, responsive, and accountable to the families served.
- Practitioners work with families to mobilize formal and informal resources to support family development.
- Programs are flexible and continually responsive to emerging family and community issues.
- Principles of family support are modeled in all program activities, including planning, governance, and administration.